Villages and Fortresses of Romagna
Romagna Villages and Fortresses Bertinoro
Built on top of Mount Cesubeo, overlooking the entire Romagna valley, the Bertinoro Fortress is one of the most ancient castles in all of Romagna: square blocks of spungone were used for its construction, which pre-dates the 10th century.
Romagna Villages and Fortresses Castrocaro e Terra del Sole
From high on the rocky spur (the characteristic "spungone stone" born from the marine deposits which settled here in the Pliocene Agal) the Castrocaro Fortress dominates the ancient village and the underiying Montone valley, offering a bird's- eye-view of Romagna's hills and countryside all the way to the Adriatic.
Romagna Villages and Fortresses Predappio
Erected some time between the 9th and 10th centuries by local feudal
lords – like other fortresses in the area, for example the Rocca delle
Caminate and the Elmici Fortress – in 909 it belonged to Forlì’s noble
Calboli family, who endowed it with a defensive structure.
Romagna Villages and Fortresses Meldola
The Meldola Fortress has a turbulent history: changing hands multiple times, besieged and conquered by opposing factions, despoiled, damaged in an earthquake...
Built on a rocky mass that dominates the town, it’s one of the biggest fortresses in Romagna, and the citizens of Meldola are particularly proud of it.
Romagna Villages and Fortresses Forlimpopoli
Unlike the other fortresses in the circuit, perched atop rocky crests, the one in Forlimpopoli is located in the lowlands. Built to protect the surrounding area, it was erected between 1361 and 1363 by Cardinal Egidio d’Albornoz upon the ruins of the Romanesque cathedral which he himself had ordered torn down during the course of the battles against the Ghibellines.
Timetables and References